Save Energy and cut costs
Big Energy Saving Week is a national campaign which aims to help and encourage people to save energy and cut down on fuel costs at the same time #EnergyKnowHow.
Lots of advice and guidance is provided to help people save energy and money, including:
- What financial support and discounts there are available
- Why you might want to consider changing energy suppliers
- Ways to invest in more effective insulation
This is the 8th Big Energy Saving Week and is a partnership between Citizens Advice, the Energy Saving Trust and the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. Many other organisations and charities support the campaign too.
Energy needn’t cost the Earth
Resolving to use less energy not only saves you money it is also essential for our planet to survive and thrive in the face of the climate emergency. Zetetick Housing is an innovative housing charity providing high quality housing for supported living and we are committed to using sustainable sources of energy. That’s why Zetetick supports the aims of Big Energy Saving Week.
Everything we do aligns with our values which are our BEDROCK. We all have a duty to create a better world for everyone and aligning with our values to us means demonstrating, doing and delivering. Actions speak louder than words, so instead of making empty statements, we want to make this a reality. Read our recent article for the concrete mechanisms we have in place (and more in the pipeline) to become a greener charity.
Zetetick also believes that, especially for our tenants, home should be a haven where you can be yourself and recharge. That means prioritising comfort and warmth in our living places, creating a cosy home #whathomemeanstome. But this needn’t cost the earth – there is plenty of advice, support and guidance out there to help us reduce our energy usage and costs while we keep warm at home, especially this Big Energy Saving Week.
Big Energy Saving Week – handy resources
Take a look at these organisations which offer handy tips and practical help to support you:
- Citizens Advice is a network of independent charities offering a free, comprehensive advice and information service. They also have a price comparison tool which you can use to compare prices from different energy companies. Their focus on the Big Energy Saving Week can be found here: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/our-work/our-campaigns/all-our-current-campaigns/besw/
- The Energy Saving Trust is an independent body working to address the climate emergency by providing support and information on energy efficiency and clean energy solutions. Their website is a wealth of information https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/ and you might be inspired to make some energy saving resolutions for 2022! https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/energy-saving-resolutions-for-2022/
- Lewes Climate Hub & Ovesco Community Energy Company jointly offer free Energy Bill Health Checks. Ovesco’s Energy Champions and Climate Hub volunteers will help you understand your latest gas and/or electricity bills, check if you are on the best possible tariff or qualify for a discount, and see whether there are additional ways you can save further money and energy. You can find out more about this initiative here: https://lewesclimatehub.org/energy-bills-health-check or by emailing: [email protected]
- Another source of handy tips and support to save money on energy and keep warm at home during winter is the Keep warm and well in East Sussex. Their website offers lots of handy tips and DIY hints, as well as details about grants and winter payments. You may also be eligible for their free Warm Home Check Service. This free service for East Sussex residents offers telephone advice for anyone struggling to afford to keep warm at home, with money-saving advice and tips on how to stay warm for less. It also provides eligible households with a holistic home energy efficiency assessment. Take a look at their website for more information: https://warmeastsussex.org.uk/
- If you’re in the area, then check out Croydon Healthy Homes which is Croydon Council’s free energy advice service to help you reduce your fuel bills and make your home more energy efficient, amazing!
- Read our recent article on creative ways to make a super-cosy home! https://zhc.org.uk/house-tips-5-ways-to-create-a-super-cosy-home/
Save energy all year round!
We typically use more energy during the colder winter months, so Big Energy Saving Week is an ideal time to take action! But remember, energy saving advice is available all year round and anytime is a good time to start saving money and precious resources.
#BigEnergySavingWeek #energy #energybills #climate
big energy saving week